Maintaining the health of livestock can be tricky. They tend to congregate in large groups, which makes them more susceptible to the spread of sickness and disease. For that reason, improving the health and performance of livestock often requires operations to use animal supplements.
Blending additives into feeds and grains provides beneficial minerals, vitamins, and other nutrients that are essential to supporting ideal health. In addition, high-quality supplements can also improve the shelf life of many feeds by inhibiting mold growth, and protecting against moisture damage.
Essential Animal Supplements
High-quality animal supplements and additives improve livestock health and production profits in three different areas:
- Preservation – Feed preservation additives are ideal for farmers, producers, and organizations that store feeds and grains for extended periods of time. They mitigate (and often eliminate) spoilage, inhibit the growth of molds, and protect against moisture damage.
- Processing – These types of additives help mills and processing plants to improve the quality of their feeds and grains. They enhance the digestibility and bioavailability of feed, and reduce the amount of wasted product that is created during processing.
- Nutrition – Farmers, producers, and organizations looking to support the health of livestock while increasing the profitability of operations often turn to nutritional additives. These supplements improve gut performance, boost nutritional value and nutrient balance, and improve palatability.
At Bentoli, we believe there are four feed additives that can efficiently be applied to the three areas above: (1) mold inhibitors, (2) anti-stress agents, (3) pellet binders, and (4)mycotoxin binders
1. Mold Inhibitors
Mold is a problem that most farmers and producers encounter during feed and grain storage. Bentoli’s Amonex® mold inhibitors provide exceptional results that are proven through a series of rigorous scientific trials. These key features and benefits are specific to Amonex® series of mold inhibitors:
- Prevents a wide range of molds
- Decreases pungency and corrosiveness which allows for easier handling of products and produces less equipment wear and tear
- Prolongs shelf life of feed and grains
- Preserves nutritional quality of feed and grains
- Minimizes the risk of mycotoxin production in feeds and grains during storage
- Increases flexibility in moisture management of feeds and grains
The Amonex® series of mold inhibitors works by penetrating mold cells with organic acids that ionize and acidify the internal environment of the cell. This upsets the internal pH, which affects protein synthesis and denatures essential enzymes, resulting in mold cell death.
2. Anti-Stress Agents
Animals, especially poultry, typically react to stress by exhibiting more severe symptoms than humans. Trying to boost the productivity of a stressed flock is next to useless without a stress management program in place that incorporates nutritional additives.
Pollstress® is an anti-stress supplement that provides relief from the symptoms of stress and allows poultry livestock to improve their productivity and health by:
- Reduces or eliminating the effects of stress
- Supports recovery after an outbreak of disease
- Provides quick relief for stressed animals
Pollstress® works by restoring depleted electrolytes and vitamins due to stress, supporting the animal’s physiological balance.
3. Pellet Binders
Feeds that crumble easily, break apart, and crack result in millions of dollars of waste every year. Pellet binders added to feed during processing create a stronger, more durable, and safer pellet.
Pelex® is a thermo-reactive binder that mixes well with various feed ingredients because it remains stable at room temperatures. During the mixing process, Pelex® reacts to the heat and moisture, helping feed ingredient particles bond into a cohesive, stable pellet. Its key features and benefits include:
- Improves the durability of pellets
- No negative impact on animals or humans
- Feeds remain stable for long periods of time in water
- Increases pelleting capacity and reduces pelleting energy
- Reduces the production of fines which further decrease feed processing costs
4. Mycotoxin Binders
Mycotoxins are caused by fungi that take root in feed and grains and can cause disease and death to both animals and humans when ingested. A good mycotoxin binder adsorbs mycotoxins irreversibly by maintaining gut pH.
Fixar® is a series of mycotoxin binders that include a variety of valuable features and benefits:
- Binds to a wide range of mycotoxins
- High efficacy in mycotoxin binding
- Stable across a wide pH range for effective mycotoxin binding throughout the gut
- Helps to reduce mycotoxicosis and improves animal health and productivity
Preserving the quality and shelf life of feed allows feed operations to offer a finished product that is more nutritious for long periods of time. Using any one of these four types of animal supplements is a great way to boost production, trim expenses associated with wasted feed and grains, and improve the health of livestock.